HEL VS HELL | DEMO HEL VS HELL | DEMO

I wasn't going to review until I saw how awesome the creator was responding to each review.
First off, I'd like to say that you seem very genuine in your replies and thankful for all the reviews, so I tip my hat to you there, and gave you an extra half star for that.

For the game itself I would like to recommend a few simple changes that may make it more enjoyable.

1. Make the meaning behind capturing the candles more clear.
Currently after capturing a candle your snow(point2) regenerates faster. This is okay, but it isn't presented in an obvious manner. Plus with the level switching it was hard to tell if it carried over or not.
2. Make the character and enemies slightly more detailed.
After reading your responses to other people I know Cyoses you're keen to keep the art simple, however it is impossible to tell that your bullet is snow, and I have no idea what your character is.
3. Make things more juicy.
This is something that companies do all the time most people don't realize. Take a look at Mario, the vertical slice of Mario is running and jumping, so that has to be FUN. So how did they do it? They made him have a cool run animation, a great jump sound, a sound effect when he jumps and another when he lands, and in later installments a particle effect of dust kicking up when he lands.
To make yours more juicy could be simple, a snow particle when he moves? An awesome sound effect when he takes over a candle? Platforms covered in snow for a while wherever he walks?
Something to indicate that he has more power when taking over a candle? Whatever you do, just make the vertical slice better.
4. Do more with the idle aspect.
At the moment this is NOT an idle game in the slightest, if anything it's "ugh I took a hit let me wait 10 seconds before I heal" and that's it. What I would do is make an over-world that's constantly generating snow biased on the amount of candles you own which you can then spend on upgrades to your speed, rate of fire, more health, rate of recharge(taking this away from the current capture mechanic), cosmetic upgrades like hats and colors, that kind of thing. Then make the levels much harder or even impossible without some upgrades (like a doublejump?) and if you fail a level you do not get to keep a levels candles, and may even lose more on other levels prompting both the idle aspect and replaying old levels.

That's all from me for now, best of luck to you Cyoses. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or comments or anything like that, and I hope this review was helpful for you.

Keep up the good work,
TheHat.

Cyoses responds:

For a first few remarks; thank you so much, for taking the time to write such a through review! You did a brilliant job balancing your feedback in both support and constructive criticism, and I find the review very helpful. Now into the details;

1. Candles : I believe the most important thing to note here is the importance of better explaining the mechanics behind the candles; which is definitely possible, and something I think I can implement.

2. Art : As for the character, I'm afraid I have as much knowledge of what the character is as you do. Which makes it rather hard to detail it much more. However, I do agree that especially for the bullet and enemy more detail could be used, I will definitely work on that, and not to skip ahead too much but your suggestion for particle effects sounds like a good way to handle that.

3. Juice? : I really like the idea of using particles! I think it would go a long way to add more to the game, in an area that is currently very lacking.

4. Idle : The idea of using an over-world to have upgrades, is a good solution, and Having the candles act more like a dynamic star system is even better! But, unfortunately I think both are outside the scope of this project, and probably my skills as a developer. However, what I'm hearing from everyone is that the idle aspect really isn't there, and I think you've really isolated what was missing: upgrades. While upgrades will be difficult, I really think I will need to design something of that nature, so thank you for pointing that out.

Once again thank you for writing such a helpful review,
~ Cyoses

Thumb Space Thumb Space

I really enjoyed my time with your game. I played it for only about 10 minutes, but I'll probably come back to it later on. Personally I won't be downloading it on my phone however without a little more replay value.

For that I suggest adding in things like powerups, upgrades, unlockable ships with different base states. If it had all that I can easily see myself paying $2 for it.

Some powerup/upgrade ideas:

Cone shot: Shoots 3 in a small cone
Split shot: Shoots only 2 in a V
Wave shot: Shoots in a wave like pattern
Color shield: Immune for x seconds OR x hits from ONE color

Good luck! I look forward to playing again!

Please message me if you have any comments, questions, or if you implement any of these changes so I can play again!

0Hayes responds:

Thank you very much! I can totally understand that, the game still has allot more to be added.

Unlocks will be a huge part of the mobile/iOS version with new ships, weapons, trails, themes and potentially gameplay mods. My tumblr has a load more information on these http://hayes2d.tumblr.com/

Thanks again for all the advice, it really does help allot!

Logical Element Logical Element

As a computer scientist. I love this game!
However when I showed it to some students I tutor it became clear to me that they would easily forget the symbols for different gates (especially the diode for some reason). So as a teaching tool, it would be nice to have a popup menu you could open to show the names and definitions of each gate.

As other commenters have said though, it's not much of a game in that it doesn't have goals. I would suggest creating some levels biased on real world projects, such as a simple calculator, clock, timer, multi-switch light-switch, etc.

Thank you for this game, and I look forward to more from you! I favorited this game to find again later. I hope there is an update!

GooDMage responds:

Thanks!
Maybe i release this in second part!

Add real scheme possible too only on second part!

No major updates :c